An Independent Ministry should be defined by its Best Practices Vision, Mission, and Objectives and not Organizational Phobia

I have been a baptized member of the SDA church since November 1963. I have consciously accepted the saving provisions of the Gospel since 2006. I have served the SDA church as an ordained pastor since June 1980. 3MMM  (Mark McCleary Ministries) was birthed with these rights of passage in mind and God impressing me to continue being productive and not focusing on organizational problems and approval.

Why and how should I or should not start a ministry independent of SDA governance/oversight?

• Pastor Owusu Kwasi Meshach

For me, those who enter into personal ministry must first be well vest in the church’s doctrines, and should serve the church for a minimum number of years. personal ministry is not bad but must be done in a careful manner.

• Flora J

Pray much. Depend on God’s guidance. Follow the teaching set forth in the Word. Don’t seek human approval. Jesus said: “My sheep know my voice . . .” Follow God’s leading and those who love Him will be drawn to join you. Your journey will need much patience as you travel the path of love and humility, utilizing the leadership skills that our Leader Jesus employed.

• Gabriel Moise

You should start a ministry independent of SDA governance and oversight because you feel compelled by God to do so. Unfortunately, from your perspective, the SDA church, as a whole, has fell short. To bolster your point, I do feel like we are complacent so if running an independent ministry is your way of changing the tempo of God’s work, I encourage you to do so. Of course if this was done through the SDA you might receive funding and you would have already had base audience, but where God’s will is there will be a way.

• mark mccleary

Pastor Meshach, what about the social aspect of life? Can an independent ministry be doctrinally loyal and deal with social issues w/o organizational oversight?

• mark mccleary

Ditto for starting and sustaining. Individual accountability is ever present. So I read go for it (?)

• mark mccleary

Received. Independence effects relationships and remuneration source. I’m pressing on the upward way…. Thanks

• mark mccleary

The more I ponder this topic, the more I believe this has been key throughout my life and ministry career. Wars and conflicts are due to friction and intense opposition to an individual and or group way of thinking and doing to the point hurt, harm and physical violence are used to uphold one’s values, words, and behavior. What are you going to do to be productive in this area of social life?

• I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.

I am quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff proper here!
    Best of luck for the following!

• admin

Life is learning. Stay safe, healthy, productive and alert so you grow and strink. I encourage you to sample the other blogs and resources post on this site. Thanks.

• Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

• admin

Humans want to be recognized, respected, valued and understood. Thanks for sharing and I hope you will respond the other and future blogs, as well as sample the resources posted on this site. Thanks.

• Meredyth Murray

I think that you should pray, pray, pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit and focus your Independent Ministry on Bible-based truths as the Holy Spirit leads you.

• admin

Been praying and will continue. This blog derives from prayerful reflections. However, do you have any specific mechanics or tactics for building and sustenance?

• M. Murray

The first thing is to count the cost. There are many ministries that identify under the umbrella of “Christian.” However a true Christian ministry follows the model of Christ’s ministry. If you intend to lead a true Christian ministry following in the footsteps of Christ, it will be seen as radical and revolutionary. Such was the ministry of Christ, the apostles, etc. Your theme would be “Not I but Christ.” Your earthly rewards would be few and far outweighed by harsh repercussions you would receive from the evil one. However, you would leave a great legacy in this world and receive eternal riches. Following the example of Christ, you would have to exemplify and teach and preach true Christianity based on love, meekness, etc. You would have to identify with the poor and displaced and reach out to them. You would also have to point out the errors of false and pretentious Christian practices and ministries. Thousands have followed in Jesus’ footsteps and did just what I am proposing, but most died for their efforts.

Many heroic people have died fighting for social justice which is important but not as momentous as social justice coupled with the good news of salvation. Radical and revolutionary messages are incendiary to the powers that be, and usually result in harsh repercussions. Think of MLK and Malcolm X in recent times—fighting for a just social system. If President Obama had used his position to fight for the poor and marginalized, he would have joined the ranks of JFK and Abraham Lincoln and left his wife a widow and his children fatherless. Such is this world. However, we must be courageous if we want to be disciples of Christ and lead others to Him.

• admin

You describe an ideal that is to be grown into with struggle along the way. My reference of independent infers a prior affiliation. History is filled with instances of efforts that were branded heretical, but eventually proved valid (ie Protestant Reformation). I agree that Christ’s method is our best model. To apply that in a complex setting is the challenge for existing and new innovations. God will determine if their motives and methods were worthy. Until then, the field remains largely white and laborers few and distracted.

• M. Murrray

Don’t know if the Protestant Ref. was a good thing. The Church had been corrupt for centuries, yet produced many great saints such as St. Francis of Assisi. It is corrupt now and still produces saints. Many priests and nuns were martyred in Latin America a few decades ago, The Church hierarchy was in alliance with the oligarchy of these nations, yet there were priests and nuns who not only supported, but lived with and defended the illiterate peasants. One priest told his flock to stop placing their money at the feet of plastic images, because the church uses their money to buy fancy vestments and decorate cathedrals. These priests and nuns were mercilessly murdered with those they lived with and protected. Such scenarios continue to be repeated worldwide in nations where there is unrest.

A lot of bloodshed and thousands of sects, denominations, etc. were produced by the Reformation. If people would only focus on Jesus’ simple message that the path to heaven is founded on love and paved with humility, and that on the last day the dividing line between the good and the evil will be the manner in which they cared for the “least of these” i.e. the poorest of the poor, the religious atmosphere would not be so confusing and divisive.

• admin

That’s your value query about something from history. Our reflection are chronicled as if fixed-ate, but life is always moving and adapting. There are many others who contributed but not mentioned by historiographic reports. Institutions are expressions of collective interests that should evaluate itself perpetually. Independent ministries arise when someone within seeks to reform the institution per his or her viewpoint. Once established, they become a new institution needing constant assessment if its vision, mission and objectives are relevant.

• M. Murray

Yes, and as long as one is led by the Holy Spirit, God will be glorified.

• admin

I agree since that is the way to yield Best Practices… Thanks for sharing.